Sunday 20 September 2015

Layering Lace & A Knock Out Film


Happy Sunday everyone! I'm pretty spent after a busy week in Bristol so apologies that this post may be short, but I did get to do some wonderful things like visiting Dismaland (breathtaking) and seeing Me And Earl And The Dying Girl (heartbreaking) and going for long walks around the Bristolian hills and winding roads (feet-aching). I've had a very relaxing weekend to recover, and of course relaxing for me means playing dress up as you can see below, baking, cooking, going for walks, as well as planning my week around London Fashion Week...

Todays outfit basically celebrates the fact that Summer has greeted us again, although there's no doubt its visit will be brief. As soon as I saw the sun shining through my windows I leapt out of bed and threw on some Spring/Summer pieces that I haven't even had the chance to wear yet - thank you very much, English weather. I've had this Urban Outfitters dress for absolutely AGES but every time I wore it I just felt frumpy and like an old lady, but I don't know why I didn't have the idea to wear it open as a maxi kimono sooner! I can be a bit self-conscious about my upper arms (hopefully soon to change after taking up Boxcersize) and throwing this on as a cover up increased my confidence massively. I love layering up pretty prints and textures, so on top of a lacey top and this seasons button down denim skirt trend I was good to go.










As for my shoes, these JuJu cuties were a bargain £10 from ASOS last Summer. Honestly, the jelly material does rub on my feet and can start to hurt if I wear them for a long time, but for the photos they tied the colours of the outfit together in the lovely pastel-y way that I love. Whenever I'm feeling a bit braver I like to break out the holographic sunglasses too, a cheeky purchase from Zara in Vienna last Summer (is it just me or are European Zara's and H&M's infinitely better than the British ones!?).







This was the first time I had tried out my new GOSH lipstick in 'flirty orange' and I am obsessed. I love anything matte make-up wise, and this was no exception. For only £4 from Amazon I wasn't expecting amazing quality but had heard good things and wanted an orange tinted lip colour, so it was time to give GOSH a try - and let me tell you, the pigment is AMAZING. It has such good holding power and literally lasts all day, and that's basically the number one priority in a decent lipstick. I'm also still falling hard for my Benefit PORE-fessional primer which mattifies my shiny combination skin in a way that makes it feels just so smooth and delicious and really lets make up glide on easily. Honestly, I never used to be that into make up but it's becoming an increasing interest of mine - it probably goes without saying but it is a huge personal confidence booster and if I feel good outside, it can really brighten me up inside. Although sometimes I wish I had the confidence to go out without make up, I'm really enjoying trying different looks and playing with different ideas to match seasonal outfits.






Dress - Urban Outfitters
Lace Top - Topshop
Denim Skirt - H&M
Shoes - JuJu through ASOS
Cuff - Miss Selfridge
Sunglasses - Zara 


I just wanted to say a little bit about the film I saw last recently, 'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl'. I couldn't believe the impact it had on me - it's rarely that a film leaves me thinking about it for days, even weeks after. I was absolutely blown away. I had been wanting to see this film ever since it had been advertised in the tube stations, and much to the dismay of my film editor boyfriend, I rarely go to see films in the cinema - but for some reason I was determined to buy tickets for Me And Earl ASAP, much more than I normally am with any good-looking films. 

Initially I thought it was just going to be a sort of cute self-narrated indie flick (which it was, as well) and I had prepared myself for some potential heartbreak what with the 'Dying Girl' in the title - but it was so much more than that. It's also not a rom-com movie about love, like I had originally suspected - it's a film focused on friendship and pretty much life in general. With a knock-out cast.

The mixture of live action cut in with stop motion and animated footage was original enough, but the story just twists and turns in a way that is unexpected, hilarious, and ultimately very shocking. It's hard to say anymore without giving anything away, but I'm so glad I got to see it on the big screen like the directors intended, and it deserved every single Sundance nomination it received. I'm also about to buy the soundtrack which includes original music as well as songs from some of my favourite bands (who have also been known to tug on my heart strings) such as Explosions In The Sky. I can feel myself getting on a roll with this but I don't want to ruin the film for anyone, so I'll just say that the actors were incredible and you should watch it IMMEDIATELY if not sooner. Seriously. Do it. 







Till next time xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment