Tuesday 8 September 2015

Build Your Own Birchbox Pop Up




Hi everyone! So as promised I'm reviewing the recent 'Build Your Own Birchbox' pop-up shop at Selfridges today. Honestly, if Birchbox offered this every month I would hands down brave the crowds of Oxford Street to be able to choose every sample in my box (and receive the free surprise gift too) for only £1 more than the usual monthly subscription charge. As much as I love Birchbox, there's always a couple of samples each month that I don't really use - either because it doesn't quite suit my skin or hair type, or isn't my shade of make up. Being able to choose your own items of course eliminated that problem, and I made sure I chose items that I would definitely get use out of and made sure to get my moneys worth. The pop up shop actually had over 30 different samples to choose from including big name brands such as Elemis, Stila, Benefit and Rituals, so of course I couldn't say no.



Here are the items I ended up picking and what I think of each of them - They're ordered in my favourites but I really do love each sample as much as the next - I couldn't be happier with how the finished box turned out.

Rituals - Foaming Body Wash with Rose and Almond Oil

Aside from the bottle looking a little like a bottle of lube (sorry but I keep thinking that every time I see it...) I LOVE anything from Rituals so of course couldn't pass this up. First of all, it smells heavenly and the sample size is huge - and a little really does go a long way. The foaming wash feels so lovely and soft against damp skin and lathers up to give you a thorough but gentle cleanse whilst making your bath or shower smell oh so goooooood.



ThisWorks - Deep Sleep Pillow Spray

The aptly named ThisWorks is a company I heard of a few years ago, and since then I have been hooked on their deep sleep pillow spray. I often struggle to fall asleep and this gentle lavender smell on my pillow soothes me to sleep like a little baby. Initially I was dubious but you gotta trust the name...this DOES actually work. I had just run out of my big bottle so it was perfect timing for me to pick up this little replacement.



Philip Kingsley - Hair Elasticizer Treatment

Philip Kingsley is another brand that I have Birchbox to thank for bringing into my life - after trying the itchy scalp shampoo in one of my boxes last year (after trying absolutely tons of dry scalp shampoos that didn't work at all) I have had a lovely soothed scalp and couldn't be happier. This elasticizer treatment is just as good. Although the sample size doesn't go very far if you have as much hair as I do, it conditions so deeply and leaves hair feeling beautiful and soft. Definitely worth a try!



Mirenesse - Lip Stick

I had never heard of Mirenesse before but I adore this lip colour stick. I normally stick firmly to proper lipsticks rather than glosses or colour crayons because the colour usually doesn't really last or barely even comes out at all - but the Mirenesse lip stick keeps lips coloured for hours and gives a sparkling gloss finish without the gooey stickiness of actual lip gloss. Amazingly it can even be used on cheeks as a blush tint, and the packaging gives you directions on how to achieve a rose glow. Excuse the dodgy close up but you can see how the colour came out on the image below:




Benefit -POREfessional Balm & Embroylisse Nourishing Moisturiser

Okay if I'm honest I haven't tried either of these yet but I really can't wait. I've been struggling with open pores and shiny skin recently and the Benefit balm promises to minimise the appearance of pores and even out complexion. I've also run out of moisturiser so the Birchbox sample was the perfect time to try out a new one, I'll keep you posted if they're any good!




and... THE SURPRISE GIFT!

I already had a nice yellow make up bag pouch from my July box but was pretty happy to get one in another colour (always needing more make up storage) for freeeeee. Inside there was a soothing eye mask and Birchbox eye pencil sharpener - make up box staples for sure!



I am knackered from working three jobs so excuse me while I got and deflaaaate. Next week I'll be in Bristol so keep your eyes peeled for some slightly different outfit of the day posts as well as pictures of little zoo trips and eating as much Mexican as I can squeeze into me. Yum. Bye!







No comments:

Post a Comment